So you’ve cleaned out your wardrobe and you’ve got a decent sized pile of clothes which you no longer wear, and you’re wondering what to do with them. You also may be wondering, “is there any way I can make money from these old clothes?”. Well guess what, there is! There are plenty of both physical and online selling sites specifically designed to help you get rid of your unwanted clothes, and make a little profit on the side to. This is also a great way to sustainably dispose of your clothes as it gives those which are still in a wearable condition another life. A lot of people believe that selling things online can be tricky and complicated. So here are some tips to help you start, and show you how simple and easy it can be.
If you love doing everything through your phone, these selling apps are for you. All are free to download and join, and provide a helpful tutorial when you first open the app. They are great online marketplaces to not only sell your own clothes, but also find some pre-loved pieces to add to your own collection.
- Upload a clear photo – those which feature you wearing the piece are particularly effective
- Name the listing – don’t forget the size
- Price the item – look at similar listings for price advice
- Make sure your notifications are on so you know when someone is interested
And if you’d rather not sell it online… Local community markets:
The markets are a great way to sell your clothes as your customers are there and ready to spend. The Glebe Markets in Sydney are very popular. It’s a great place to sell clothes and pick yourself up a bargain. Just be advised that there is usually a stall fee and it’s BYO clothing racks and tables.
- Get a group of friends together to contribute to the stall fee
- Display clothes neatly and label them with their prices
- Use your best customer service skills and sell, sell, sell!